An SEO specialist is a professional who optimizes a website and its structure in accordance with the current rules of search engines. Thanks to his work, the site went to the first pages of search engines.
Today, for the success of a company on the Internet, it is not enough just to have a website, it must also be properly promoted. This work is entrusted to an SEO specialist – a professional who knows exactly how to optimize a site and bring it to the top.
Each of us daily searches for something on the Internet. For one query, the search engine offers hundreds of sites to choose from, and, of course, few people will scroll through all the search results to the end. Some will make it to page three, maybe even page five, but most will stay on page one.
Many entrepreneurs are well aware of this, so in the struggle for a place in the sun, they hire an SEO specialist to promote their website.
What is an SEO Specialist?
An SEO specialist is responsible for optimizing and promoting websites in search engines. With the help of various tools, he tries to bring the site to the first page in Google search results in order to attract as much traffic to it as possible. To do this, he needs to solve many problems, for example:
- analyze the client’s website and competitors;
- check the site for technical errors;
- adapt the site to the requirements of search engines;
- develop a promotion strategy;
- collect the semantic core – choose the right key queries;
- optimize page addresses, increase the level of link mass;
- draw up TOR for copywriters, layout designers;
- optimize content: add meta tags, key phrases and headings to texts, remove duplicate content, and so on.
A good SEO specialist should understand internet marketing, web development, copywriting, understand how websites work, and have a basic knowledge of HTML.
Benefits of being an SEO Specialist
There are quite a few advantages to being an SEO specialist.
Demand. Many entrepreneurs are interested in SEO promotion, because the higher the site in the search results, the more customers.
High income. Experienced professionals are well paid.
Fast learning. This profession can be mastered in a year and a half, if you tune in to serious work.
Free schedule. SEO specialists have the opportunity to be freelancers and work remotely on their own schedule.
Self-development. Search engine algorithms change very quickly, so SEO professionals need to keep abreast of these changes and constantly grow professionally. However, for some, this item can be a minus.
Disadvantages of Being an SEO Specialist
Despite the large number of advantages, there are several disadvantages to the profession of an SEO specialist.
Passive lifestyle. Permanent sedentary work at the computer has negative health consequences: problems with the back, sleep, vision and weight can appear.
Competition. Due to the small entry threshold in the profession, competition among newcomers is very high, so it can be difficult to find orders.
A responsibility. The SEO specialist has a big responsibility: it is important not to make a mistake with the strategy and not spoil the reputation of the site.
This profession is not taught in secondary specialized educational organizations or universities, so most SEO specialists master it either on their own using the materials that are on the Internet or in courses.
Although it is not necessary to have a secondary vocational or higher education in the field of information technology to work as an SEO specialist, it will be a good help and will allow you to gain the necessary skills to work in the IT field. In addition, if you suddenly stop liking SEO promotion, education will help cover the rear and not be left without a job, because you can change your profession and become a programmer, tester or web developer.
You can get secondary vocational education in the programs “Information Systems and Programming”, “Computer Systems and Complexes” and “Applied Informatics” in different colleges.
Taking courses is the fastest and most popular way to become an SEO specialist. You can find both paid and free courses. The cost of paid services depends on their duration.
The 10 Best Free SEO Courses Online
- Free SEO Course (Reliablesoft)
- Free SEO training: SEO for beginners (Yoast)
- SEO Training Course by Moz (Udemy)
- Free SEO Course (ClickMinded)
- SEO Training Course: Building Sustainable Traffic for Business Growth (Hubspot)
- On-Page and Technical SEO Course (SEMRUSH)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialization (Coursera)
- Free SEO 6-Part Video Series (Moz)
- SEO Training and Tutorials (LinkedIn Learning)
- SEO Today: Strategies to Earn Trust, Rank High, and Stand Out (Skillshare)
There is always a demand among entrepreneurs and site owners for the services of good and experienced SEO specialists, since proper promotion can significantly increase company revenues.
Employment and career
SEO specialists can work on the staff of an SEO agency, web studio or other company, or they can search for orders on their own, working as a freelancer. Both for one and for the other option, you will need a portfolio and work experience. Beginners can start with free projects – promoting sites for reviews, promoting their own site or blog, and if they’re lucky, they can get an internship.
Once in the staff of the company, the newcomer first works as an intern and junior, and then climbs the career ladder to the position of middle and senior. Experienced professionals often open their own agencies.
Prospects for the future
It is difficult to make any predictions about the future of this profession. Some even ten years ago believed that it was doomed to extinction, however, the demand for the services of SEO specialists still exists. The fact is that it is not the profession itself that dies, but only some methods and tools – for example, buying low-quality links or cheating behavioral factors. Others, on the contrary, appear and evolve, like the search engines themselves and their algorithms. Most likely, as long as websites and search engines exist, the profession of SEO specialist will also exist, just not necessarily in the form in which we know it now.
How to become an SEO specialist from scratch?
- It’s hard to learn SEO from some free articles or YouTube videos. In my opinion, the best way to start your career is to get a job as an intern at a results-driven agency, get a good teacher, and quickly hit the bumps to become a full-fledged SEO specialist in a fairly short time. Later, you can take various courses, start your own experiments or open your own projects.
What should an SEO specialist know?
- An SEO specialist of the Middle or higher level actually needs to know quite a lot: 5-10 programs and services for various SEO work, the intricacies of text and technical analysis, at a basic level, he must understand other aspects of Internet marketing. In addition, you need to have a good understanding of usability, be able to search for and evaluate competitors. Beginners are usually first taught how to collect a semantic core and work with meta tags – in fact, this is what we do in the company.
Is there free SEO training?
- The best free education is an internship, although getting into it is not so easy. Free SEO courses mainly contain theory, but do not contain the most important thing – a mentor who can help you understand this or that issue. I am closely associated with SEO education and I can definitely say that the goal of any free course is to sell a paid one, so do not expect that after a free course you will become an expert. But free courses also have their advantages: you can look at the teacher and choose the best option for yourself without spending your own money on it.
Can an SEO specialist get a job without experience?
- You can get a job without experience, many streaming agencies are constantly looking for newbies to dump on them, work on semantics for 10-15 projects. It’s a good experience, but you get tired of it quickly. The second option is to go for an internship at a good agency, gain experience in promotion with a detailed immersion in the project. In both cases, the salary will be quite low, but in 1-3 years you can become a full-fledged specialist of a good level. If you want to become a worthy candidate, take some free Excel course and pay attention to the little things. SEO is a job that requires a lot of attention.